1 tbsp olive oil 1 onion diced 1 tbsp minced garlic 1 tbsp chili powder 2 tbsp tomato paste 2 cups chicken broth 1/2 tsp salt 1 box (225 g) quinoa 1 can (540ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, or until starting to soften. Add chili powder; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and black beans; reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. You may serve it garnished with lime wedges and coriander sprigs, if desired.
Mom's Pantry friend Yates Scott says: I never could figure out when I was growing up why everyone always made a fuss over my grandma's chocolate pie at those family reunions and barbecues They all swore they followed the same recipes on the back of the old Dream Whip Boxes and never got the result as good as hers, she always swore it was the extra love,......I knew she was full of it once she started showing me all her little secrets. This recipe proves it and explains why I love my grandmother and her crazy addiction to chocolate....what she doesn't know is she hasn't made one of these in almost ten years, i'm bringing her one for Mother's Day!!!! MAMAW YOU ROCK!!!!!!! P.S.- This is an older pic before I started using chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers to garnish it, but if you so choose, shaved dark chocolate works real well and is just as yummy , we have also used an assortment of crushed nuts too. Chocolate Dream Whip Pie with Grandma's Secret Twist
recipe makes 1 pie crust
1 3/4 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs 1/3 cup white sugar 8 tablespoons butter, melted 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter or margarine, and cinnamon until well blended . Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes. Cool. Chill for about 1 hour before filling.
For the filling : Ingredients:
2 (1 1/3 ounce) envelopes dream whip brand whipped dessert topping mix 2 3/4 cups cold milk, divided 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages jell-o brand instant pudding mix, any flavor –dark chocolate ½ jar Smuckers Hot Fudge Ice Cream Topping 1 small tub Cool Whip topping ¼ c mini choc chips for topping pie at the end 1 graham cracker in a ziploc bag crushed for topping pie at the end Directions: 1. Beat whipped topping mixes, 1 cup of the milk and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on high 6 minutes or until topping thickens and forms peaks.
2. Add remaining 1-3/4 cups milk and pudding mixes; beat on low speed until mixed.
3. Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. 4. Add ½ jar of the Smuckers Hot Fudge Ice Cream Topping and Beat for 1 more Minute on high and scrape the bowl before spooning into pie shell.
5. Top with the container of Cool Whip, Rounding out the top, Garnish with Mini chips and Graham Cracker Crumbs then refrigerate at least 4 hours.