Friday 10 May 2013

Chocolate Dream Whip Pie with Grandma's Secret Twist


Mom's Pantry friend Yates Scott says: I never could figure out when I was growing up why everyone always made a fuss over my grandma's chocolate pie at those family reunions and barbecues  They all swore they followed the same recipes on the back of the old Dream Whip Boxes and never got the result as good as hers, she always swore it was the extra love,......I knew she was full of it once she started showing me all her little secrets. This recipe proves it and explains why I love my grandmother and her crazy addiction to chocolate....what she doesn't know is she hasn't made one of these in almost ten years, i'm bringing her one for Mother's Day!!!! MAMAW YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

P.S.- This is an older pic before I started using chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers to garnish it, but if you so choose, shaved dark chocolate works real well and is just as yummy , we have also used an assortment of crushed nuts too.


Chocolate Dream Whip Pie with Grandma's Secret Twist

Pie Crust


Ingredients


recipe makes 1 pie crust

1 3/4 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup white sugar
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 


Directions


1.  Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter or margarine, and cinnamon until well blended . Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.


2. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes. Cool. Chill for about 1 hour before filling.

For the filling : 


Ingredients:



2 (1 1/3 ounce) envelopes dream whip brand whipped dessert topping mix 
2 3/4 cups cold milk, divided 
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages jell-o brand instant pudding mix, any flavor –dark chocolate
½ jar Smuckers Hot Fudge Ice Cream Topping
1 small tub Cool Whip topping
¼ c mini choc chips for topping pie at the end
1 graham cracker in a ziploc bag crushed for topping pie at the end

Directions:


1. Beat whipped topping mixes, 1 cup of the milk and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on high 6 minutes or until topping thickens and forms peaks.



2. Add remaining 1-3/4 cups milk and pudding mixes; beat on low speed until mixed.


3. Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
 

4. Add ½ jar of the Smuckers Hot Fudge Ice Cream Topping and Beat for 1 more Minute on high and scrape the bowl before spooning into pie shell.


5. Top with the container of Cool Whip, Rounding out the top, Garnish with Mini chips and Graham Cracker Crumbs then refrigerate at least 4 hours.


6. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. I've actually never used Dream Whip. This pie sounds so good, I'm just going to have to put Dream Whip onto my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie has been a family favorite and a MUST make at every holiday dinner for my family since 1982!! Still love it to this day....sharing at a pie workshop tonight! However I made one change...I could never get the add pudding mix to the dream whip mixture to work for me. So I whip the dream whip separate and mix the pudding in a separate bowl and then fold together....works beautifully! Thank you for this delicious recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete