Saturday 6 April 2013

Popcorn Salad

I know, I know...it sounds strange, and yet Karen Emerson tells me the recipe is over 100 years old! Sometimes got to be right about a recipe that has that kind of staying power. Luckily, Karen was more than willing to step up to the plate for us and experiment.

Pin It
.

Karen says: "It's pretty good. I'd make it again when I need a quick side dish. I think people might be surprised that they like it. I used stove-top popped white corn and pan fried bacon, fried very crispy, and I pressed the grease out. The next time I make this, I'm going to add a handful of raisins and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. 

Popcorn Salad 

3/4 cup mayonnaise 
1 cup diced celery 
1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese 
1 can [8 ounces] sliced water chestnuts, drained 
3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon [divided] 
1/4 cup shredded carrots 
2 Tablespoons minced chives 
6 cups popped popcorn 

In a large bowl, everything except popcorn. Mix well. Add popcorn. 


Stir to coat. 


Note: This salad is best eaten fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment