Thursday 4 April 2013

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce


Pin It

I've been asked for a basic spaghetti sauce recipe. This is the one I use.

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

1 pound of lean ground beef
1/2 onion finely diced
2 celery sticks finely diced
1 can/jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 sm can stewed tomatoes
1 sm can tomato paste
1 sm can tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped

Brown hamburger in pan with onion and celery. Drain excess grease. Add sauce, cans of tomatoes, paste and tomato sauce and all spices. Simmer on low for 2 hours, adding mushrooms (if desired) in the last 5 minutes.

Serve over hot pasta noodles, topping with a mixture of grated cheeses of your choice.

* taste sauce after 1 hour to see if you would like to add more seasoning.


*the photograph above is a creative commons licensed photograph; I will replace this with my own when I next make my sauce. Mine has visible meat and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment